Welcome back to Cooking with Kids. Though the focus of this series is cooking meals, we do love to bake. Today we made delicious chocolate brownies. Yum!
I am sorry there are no photos of The Bot baking… we were very much engrossed with the task at hand!
Adapted from Nigella Lawson’s How To Be a Domestic Goddess:
- 300g good quality chocolate
- 300g butter
- 6 medium eggs
- 400g sugar
- 1tsp vanilla
- 190g plain flower
- 1tsp salt
- 250g walnuts
- Place the chocolate and butter in a saucepan and melt over low heat
- Meanwhile, beat the sugar, vanilla essence and eggs together
- Measure out the flour and walnuts and place with salt in a bowl
- Once chocolate has melted, let it cool a little, then beat in the egg mixture, flour, salt and walnuts.
- Pour into your cake tin(s) and bake in oven for approx. 25min-30min. Do keep checking your brownies, as Nigella says – it is only a few minutes between a too gooey brownie and a too dry brownie!
Whilst we were waiting for the chocolate to cool, I took the opportunity to do some counting with The Boy. We counted from 1-30, three times and slowly. Oh.. and check out our Scones Recipe for more baking inspiration!
The Boy: aged 4yrs 4months
Part of the Cooking with Kids series.