Mmmmy. Remeber our foraged blackberries? Well, we have lots.. and I like to treat the kids to different blackberry delights, but if possible healthy-ish. We made “Forager’s Cake” at the weekend. And now I thought I would try making tartlets with them.
You can make them simple or with a little pastry handle thingy. To be honest, they are fiddly… they look nice, but I didn’t quite have the time to make them like that for all the tartlets. So your call. Lots of time: make pretty. Less time: focus on tasty!
Sweet Short Crust pastry
- (Makes 14-15)
- 200g plain flour
- 100g butter (room temperature ideally)
- 3-4 tbsp of sugar (add to taste)
- 3-4 tbsp of milk
- 300 blackberries (foraged ideally!)
- 2-3 tbsp of sugar
Preheat oven to 180C
- Mix your flour, but and sugar until you have a crumbly dough
- Add your 3-4 tbsp of milk (you can use water if you like, but milk a little richer)
- Roll out the dought about 0.5cm. Using an 8cm cookie circular cutter, cut out circles and place them in your muffin tin. Now.. the dough makes around 12 tartles + the little handles, or 14 tartlets without. Either put a little dough aside now or use up to make more plain tartlets.
- Fill each tartlet with two heaped tablespoons of berries. We probably had about 8-10 berries per tart.
- If adding the handles, roll out remaining dough, cut thing strips, drape across tartle and with a knife or similar secure in place.