Today, we went for a scooter ride. We really only went around the block, to get some fresh air and 10min of exercise. We went to the local tram stop and then Red Ted shouted: “Look Mummy, blackberries!”. My goodness, it is the 1st August and already the blackberries are out.
So precious. So tasty.
Well.. a picking we did go.
Though stumbled across the blackberries this time.. it is advisable to wear long sleeved arms and trousers, as well as socks and closed shoes – there are lots of prickles and nettles around blackberries!
There are several reasons why I ADORE doing this with my children:
- They are tasty
- They get to experience and appreciate nature
- They learn about where things come from (not plastic containers) and what plants look like
- Learning about seasons (and in what seasons you can find what)
- It is frugal
- It is healthy (both the fresh air and the fruit)
- It is fun
- They appreciate the “effort” that goes into getting something
- We will go picking again and then we will bake and cook with them – so they can learn a bit more about cooking
- In a funny sort of way it is MAGICAL!
Hooray for foraging!!!