Here are some simple Jam Tarts that make for a nice treat on a rainy day afternoon. And we are having plenty of those. So baking with kids is on the agenda.
We make our own short crust pastry. As the jam is sweet, we make the pasty plain. But you can add a little icing sugar and an egg yolk to make it richer and smoother. Not needed though. So. Our simple jam tarts:
Sweet Short Crust pastry
- (Makes 14-15)
- 200g plain flour
- 100g butter (room temperature ideally)
- 3-4 tbsp of sugar (add to taste)
- 3-4 tbsp of milk
- Jam, great to use up any jars that are nearly finished, we used homemade apricote jam
- Muffin Tin
- 8cm Dia Circular Cookie Cutter or a large glass/ cup
Preheat oven to 180C
- Mix your flour, but and sugar until you have a crumbly dough
- Add your 3-4 tbsp of milk (you can use water if you like, but milk a little richer)
- Roll out the dough about 0.5cm. Using an 8cm cookie circular cutter, cut out circles and place them in your muffin tin.
- Fill each Jam Tart with a generous portion of jam. The kids loved doing this bit and yes, there was a little mess.
- Place in oven and bake until pasty is golden – approximately 20min