A lot of people are starting to include kefir in their diet. If you’ve never heard of it before I would be surprised, but you may not know why you should be adding it.
Kefir (most commonly pronounced “kee-fur”) is a fermented drink made from tiny little bacteria grains and yeasts. Before this puts you off reading the rest of the article, you should know that kefir is delicious! You can make it from water or milk. Goat milk is particularly wonderful for this, especially for those who suffer from allergies or eczema, but you can make it from any kind of milk.
To make your kefir it’s mixed with your liquid, sugar, and fruit. You strain off everything after about 24 hours and use your liquid. It has tons more probiotics than you can get in almost anything else, including those little yoghurts with probiotics added. And those little cups don’t have any yeast, so kefir gives you an added boost.
Why else should you be using kefir? How about because it’s great for your immune system, contains calcium, helps contribute to a healthy gut and is wonderful for people suffering from IBS? It also helps prevent some types of bowel cancer by fighting the bacteria h.pylori.
If all that wasn’t enough, it’s low cal, and makes some absolutely delicious food. To prove it I’ve gathered 15 recipes using kefir for you to try and see for yourself.
Get your own Kefir making kit:
(This post contains affiliate links for convenience, I may earn a small comission should you choose to buy via this link, which goes towards the upkeep of the site!)
We love this Kefirko kit – as it comes complete with additional recipes and utensils.
You will also need Kefir Grains
Fantastic Water Kefir Recipes
- How to Make Water Kefir from Scratch Mommy is a great starter tutorial!
- Water Kefir Gummies from Fermentools would be a great addition to a child’s lunchbox, while helping them to stay healthy.
- Peach Water Kefir from Castleview Academy is just plain delicious.
- Peach Berry Smash from Encouraging Moms at Home offers two versions, on with kefir and one without.
- Kid-friendly Probiotic Ketchup from Untrained Housewife – boost immune systems while eating grilled cheese and fries!
Delicious Milk Kefir Recipes
- ‘Buttermilk’ Kefir Biscuits with Summer Berry Compote from Domestic Superhero would be perfect for a poetry teatime or a delicious summer snack.
- Kefir Mac and Cheese from Nutritionists Reviews – mac and cheese with health benefits? Yes please.
- Pumpkin Pancakes from Mama Smiles are possibly the tastiest breakfast food ever made.
- Raw Probiotic Caesar Salad Dressing from Untrained Housewife might just make even a picky eater happy and healthy.
- Savory Squash Kefir Pancakes from Wholesome Yum: You wouldn’t think this would be good but it is so delicious!
- Pistachio Caramel Apple Butter Pancakes from Sweet and Savory Meals are incredible, and tasty enough to serve as dessert.
- Irish Brown Soda Bread from Happy Foods Tube – Celebrate St Patrick’s Day the healthier way. Nobody will be able to tell.
- Peachy Pear Chicken Rigatoni Salad with Turmeric Kefir Dressing from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings Is just right for health-conscious dinner guests, and pretty enough to be proud of serving.
- Chocolate Cheesecake Fruit Dip from GingerCasa – need I say more about this?
- Kefir Crumb Muffins from Thrifty Jinxy are a quick, tasty muffin that packs well in lunches too. Make double batches and freeze one.
We have more healthy eating ideas here with our set of Spiralizer Recipes: